Zero Suicide Academy Application
South Carolina Department of Mental Health, Office of Suicide Prevention
At this time, plans are being set to host the South Carolina DMH Zero Suicide Academy in-person in West Columbia, SC. The venue, Phillips Market Center, SCDMH, and ZSI will work to ensure this can be done safely, and in accordance to all local, state, and federal guidelines in place at the time of the Academy. Participating teams will be given guidance prior to the event, including masking and social distancing. If we are unable to host the Academy in-person, the dates will remain the same and we will move to a virtual, live format.
Sponsoring Organization Email
Zero Suicide Academy fees and materials will be provided by the sponsor.
Applicants are to come with a team of 4 individuals, including the person identified as the lead for the system’s Zero Suicide initiative. Recommendations for team composition include:
Person(s) responsible and with authority for implementation decisions (e.g. Medical Doctor, CIO, ED, BH Director, or IT).
- At least one senior leader/management (irrespective of discipline area).
- At least one person who manages your electronic health records (EHR) system, quality improvement, or risk management.
- At least one person (e.g., case manager, psychologist, social worker, nurse, other) who provides care to patients daily.
All organizations wishing to be considered for the Zero Suicide Academy will submit the application by the due date. Priority will be given to counties participating in the SCDMH Zero Suicide Communities of Care grant and to community hospital settings.
The lead applicant will receive all correspondence and must be one of the team members.
The Zero Suicide Academy application consists of:
1. A letter of commitment written by the organization’s CEO/Senior Executive Leader. The CEO/Senior Executive Leader should review and approve the submission and agree to the strategy proposed. Leadership letters of commitment to the Zero Suicide model created for other purposes are acceptable so long as they are dated within the prior 6 months.
2. A narrative that, in two to four pages, responds to the following:
a. Briefly describe the members of your team and the relevant skills, knowledge, and experience they bring to the Zero Suicide Academy.
b. What are your team’s goals for participating in the Zero Suicide Academy™ and what does the team hope to learn during the training? Describe how you would like to apply Zero Suicide in your organization.
c. What successes and/or challenges have you had with systems-change in your organization? Consider other collaborative efforts within your team and/or other quality improvement programs in your organization.
Note: Zero Suicide Implementation team members should include persons who can both champion Zero Suicide with passion and those who have some power and influence in your system. This can include clinical directors, senior clinical staff with coordination over a certain area or department, information technology, risk management or quality improvement, or person with lived experience.
3. A Zero Suicide Organizational Self-Study is to be completed by your implementation team members, along with your application. We offer two versions of the Organizational Self-Study: the General Organizational Self-Study and the Inpatient Organizational Self-Study. Organizations can choose to take one or both available Self-Studies. If you would like to review the questions before taking the survey, we offer a PDF of each version of the Self-Study. To access these resources, you will need to create an account on the Zero Suicide website. The Organizational Self-Study is due no later than September 1, 2021. A prior Organizational Self-Study is acceptable, as long as it was completed within the prior 12 months.
Application materials should be submitted via the registration website by Wednesday, August 18, 2021 at 5:00 pm ET. You will be notified via email no later than August 20, 2021 about your application status.
Application released: 6/2/2021
Application due: 8/18/2021
Applicants notified of their status: 8/20/2021
Pre-Academy Webinar: 9/8/2021 @ 12pm ET
Academy: September 16 & 17, 2021
Post-Academy Webinar: 10/20/2021 @ 12pm ET