Zero Suicide Academy Application
The Zero Suicide Academy™ is sponsored by Nevada the Division of Public and Behavioral Health’s Office of Suicide Prevention (OSP), Center for the Application of Substance Abuse Technologies, UNR (CASAT), Substance Abuse Prevention & Treatment Agency (SAPTA).
Sponsoring Organization Email
Zero Suicide Academy™ fees, materials, and lunch will be provided by the sponsor. Contact Cherylyn Rahr-Wood, Nevada Office of Suicide Prevention, Zero Suicide Project Coordinator, at email@example.com to inquire about the academy logistics.
Applicants are to come with a team of 3-5 individuals including the person identified as the lead for the system’s Zero Suicide initiative. Recommendations for team composition include:
Person(s) responsible and with authority for implementation decisions (e.g. Medical Doctor, CIO, ED, BH Director, or IT).
- At least one senior leader/management (irrespective of discipline area).
- At least one person who manages your electronic health records (EHR) system, quality improvement, or risk management.
- At least one person (e.g., case manager, psychologist, social worker, nurse, other) who provides care to patients daily.
The review committee will rate applications based on their merit. The review committee reserves the right to select participants who are representative of geographical and organizational diversity. Priority will be given to applicant teams from key partners implementing Zero Suicide. Applications will be judged using the following criteria:
- The CEO or Director’s knowledge of and commitment to the Zero Suicide initiative.
- Completion of the Zero Suicide (ZS) Workforce Survey.
- Creation of ZS Leadership Team with a completed Organizational Self-Study (bring to the academy).
- The organization’s plans and expectations for embedding the Zero Suicide model into care as outlined in the www.zerosuicide.com toolkit.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration among team members.
- The incorporation of persons with lived experience in leadership and planning roles.
The Zero Suicide Academy application consists of:
1. A cover sheet, using the template provided on page 4. The lead applicant will receive all correspondence and must be one of the team members.
2. A letter of commitment written by the organization’s Director. The Director should review and approve the submission and agree to the strategy proposed.
3. A narrative that, in two to four pages, responds to the following:
a. Briefly describe the members of your team and the relevant skills, knowledge, and experience they bring to the Zero Suicide Academy.
Note: Zero Suicide Implementation team members should include persons who can both champion Zero Suicide with passion and have some power and influence in your system. This can include clinical directors, senior clinical staff with coordination over a certain area or department, information technology, risk management or quality improvement, or a person with lived experience.
b. What are your team’s goals for participating in the Zero Suicide Academy™ and what does the team hope to learn during the training?
c. What successes and/or challenges have you had as a team or with other collaborative efforts?
d. An abstract describing how you would like to apply Zero Suicide in your organization. The abstract can include aims, description of the approach, and tentative implementation plan, drawing heavily from the http://www.zerosuicide.sprc.org toolkit. The abstract should include how you plan to successfully embed and sustain comprehensive suicide care in your organization.
4. A Zero Suicide Organizational Self-Study is completed by your implementation team members. We offer two versions of the Organizational Self-Study: the General Organizational Self-Study and the Inpatient Organizational Self-Study. Organizations can choose to take one or both available Self-Studies. If you would like to review the questions before taking the survey, we offer a PDF of each version of the Self-Study.
March 2nd, 2020 (Please note there is room for 15 teams of 4, each eligible partner is allowed one team of 4) ALT will attend in case of emergency.
Application materials should be submitted via the Zero Suicide Institute website no later than March 2nd, 2020 at 5:00 pm. You will be notified via email by March 10th, 2020 about your application status.
Application due: March 2nd, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Applicants notified of their status: March 10th, 2020
Zero Suicide Academy™ conducted: April 1st & 2nd, 2020