Zero Suicide Academy Application
The Indianapolis Zero Suicide Academy® is sponsored by the Indiana Hospital Association (IHA) and the Indiana Division of Mental Health and Addiction (DMHA). Funding for this training was made possible by DMHA and the Indiana State Office of Rural Health’s Small Rural Hospital Improvement Grant Project (SHIP).
Sponsoring Organization Email
Zero Suicide Academy fees, materials, and lunch will be provided by DMHA and IHA. All other costs, such as travel, and lodging, are not included and must be covered by participating organizations. SHIP participating hospitals will receive stipends that may be used to offset travel and for implementation expenses.
Eligibility is limited to 1) Indiana Community Mental Health Centers that have not already participated in a Zero Suicide Academy, 2) identified healthcare systems that have shown an interest and commitment in suicide prevention, or 3) hospitals participating in the SHIP Zero Suicide Academy project. Space is limited to 16 organizations. Applicants must come with a team of 4 individuals and shall include:
- Person(s) responsible and with authority for implementation decisions (e.g. Medical Doctor, CIO, ED, BH Director, or IT). Likely this person will be the identified lead for the system’s Zero Suicide initiative.
- At least one senior leader/management (irrespective of discipline area).
- At least one person who manages your electronic health records (EHR) system.
- At least one person (e.g., case manager, psychologist, social worker, nurse, other) who provides direct care to patients daily.
The Zero Suicide Academy is not an orientation to the Zero Suicide Initiative – it is geared for organizations that are ready to adopt and implement a Zero Suicide approach. Organizations are encouraged to include individuals with lived experience of suicidal ideation or behavior who can provide insight into the impact of organizational practices on people seeking care.
The review committee will rate applications based on their merit in responding to this application. The review committee reserves the right to select participants who are representative of geographical and organizational diversity. Applications will be judged using the following criteria:
- The CEO or Director’s knowledge of and commitment to the Zero Suicide initiative.
- The feasibility of the timeline and work plan.
- The organization’s plans and expectations for embedding the Zero Suicide model into care as outlined in the www.zerosuicide.com toolkit.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration among team members.
- The incorporation of persons with lived experience in leadership and planning roles.
Application materials should be submitted via e-mail as two PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 3, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST. One PDF should include the following items in the following order: Cover sheet, Letter of commitment, and Narrative. The other PDF should consist of the completed Zero Suicide Organizational Self-Study. You will be notified via email by June 24, 2019 about your application status.
New application deadline: July 12, 2019 at 5:00 PM EST
- Application released: May 13, 2019
- Application due: June 3, 2019
- New application deadline: July12, 2019 at 5:00 PM EST
- Applicants notified of their status: June 24, 2019
- Zero Suicide Academy conducted: August 13-14, 2019