Zero Suicide Academy Application
University of Nebraska Public Policy Center
Sponsoring Organization Email
Zero Suicide Academy fees, materials, and lunch will be provided by the sponsor. All other costs, such as travel and lodging, will be the responsibility of the attendees.
Applicants are to come with a team of 4 individuals including the person identified as the lead for the system’s Zero Suicide initiative. Recommendations for team composition include:
Person(s) responsible and with authority for implementation decisions (e.g. Medical Doctor, CIO, ED, BH Director, or IT).
- At least one senior leader/management (irrespective of discipline area).
- At least one person who manages your electronic health records (EHR) system, quality improvement, or risk management.
- At least one person (e.g., case manager, psychologist, social worker, nurse, other) who provides care to patients daily.
All organizations wishing to be considered for the academy will submit the application by the due date. Invitations to the academy will be sent to the selected organizations by April 9, 2020
The Zero Suicide Academy application consists of:
- A letter of commitment written by the organization’s Director. The Director should review and approve the submission and agree to the strategy proposed.
- A narrative that, in two to four pages, responds to the following:
- Briefly describe the members of your team and the relevant skills, knowledge, and experience they bring to the Zero Suicide Academy.
Note: Zero Suicide Implementation team members should include persons who can both champion Zero Suicide with passion and have some power and influence in your system. This can include clinical directors, senior clinical staff with coordination over a certain area or department, information technology, risk management or quality improvement, or person with lived experience.
- What are your team’s goals for participating in the Zero Suicide Academy™ and what does the team hope to learn during the training? (For this, we are looking for an academy vision statement. You can include what your team hopes to learn and any goals you have for the academy)
- What successes and /or challenges have you had as a team or with other collaborative efforts?
- An abstract describing how you would like to apply Zero Suicide in your organization. The abstract can include aims, description of the approach, and tentative implementation plan, drawing heavily from the http://www.zerosuicide.sprc.org toolkit. The abstract should include how you plan to successfully embed and sustain comprehensive suicide care in your organization.
A Zero Suicide Organizational Self-Study is completed by your implementation team members. We offer two versions of the Organizational Self-Study: the General Organizational Self-Study and the Inpatient Organizational Self-Study. Organizations can choose to take one or both available Self-Studies. If you would like to review the questions before taking the survey, we offer a PDF of each version of the Self-Study.
Application materials should be submitted via the Zero Suicide Institute website by April 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST. You will be notified via email by April 9, 2020 about your application status.
Application released: 2/7/20
Application due: 4/3/20
Applicants notified of their status: 4/9/20
Zero Suicide Academy conducted: 5/19-20/2020